With a thriving business climate, quality schools, and activities throughout the year, the City of Collins is the perfect place to live, work, and play.
There is something to do year-round in Collins with several seasonal activities, starting on the first Saturday in May with the Okatoma Festival, children’s activities held on the streets of downtown Collins. July 4th is celebrate at the Collins Civic Center with food, live music and ends the night watching a great firework show. Christmas in the Park starts at Thanksgiving and runs through New Years in the Robertson Park. The City’s awesome night time Christmas Parade is held the Thursday after Thanksgiving and is a favorite of all who attend. The city ends the year with Christmas in Collins where Santa visits the VO Smith Courtyard to hear the secret wishes from the children. There are games to play, shopping, and restaurants to stop by for a bite to eat.
Visit one of our many delicious restaurants, enjoy a summer day at Grand Paradise Water Park, go canoeing on the Okatoma, stop off in the fall for a tour through the Mitchell Farms Pumpkin Patch, or just stroll the streets of beautiful downtown with shopping all around the city.
The city’s strategic growth is led by Mayor Hope Magee Jones and Board of Aldermen, and the City of Collins continues to grow as new businesses choose to locate to this thriving community where tradition meets innovation. With facilities like the Covington County Hospital, State Veterans Home, Arrington Center, Landmark of Collins, and Covington Ridge. Industries including Sanderson Farms, Rutland Lumber, Belvins’ Distribution Center, and Major Pipeline Companies. Collins is home to many multi-million dollar projects.
The City of Collins’ history stretches back to 1826 when the Mississippi Legislature established “Williamsburg” as a permanent seat of justice for Covington County. Williamsburg, about two miles from the present site of Collins, was the town’s predecessor. Williamsburg was incorporated in 1808 when sawmills were the big industry.
In 1899 the Gulf and Ship Island railroad was built and missed the town of Williamsburg. The sawmills moved near the present site of Collins to take advantage of the railroad, so the town moved along with the mills. Population increased to over 2000 by 1906 and the town leaders petitioned Governor James K. Vardaman to officially change the town’s name of Williamsburg Depot. “Collins” was then named in honor of Meridian native Fred W. Collins, a Republican U.S. Marshal for the Southern District of Mississippi. At that time, the city also became Covington County’s county seat.